Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Live blog

Energy independence as a solution to the banking crisis? Oh, this is going to be bad.
Okay, buying up all the bad mortgages is at least germane, if entirely stupid.

I like the Warren Buffett idea. Gimmicky, but great cross-the-aisle suggestion.

Brokaw's asking follow-ups! Against the rules, and good for him!

Still beating the "suspended campaign" dead horse. Wait, the mortgage crisis is Obama's fault? And Obama's on Fannie Mae's take? Um, John, your own campaign manager was actually on the payroll. Obama really ought to point that out.

Good rebuttal, Barack.

McCain really is more effective in this format. He sounds sincere when he directly addresses the questioners. It's hard to pivot from that to his harder-edged attacks.

Did he just say he was going to cut Medicare?

Boeing deal blocked -- good point. Again with the goddamn earmarks bit. Why does the media not call him on that blatant dishonesty?

Obama pivots to 9/11. Nicely done -- unexpected for the Democrat, and segues to leadership. I think people are liking this.

"Obama wants to raise taxes." Ooooh. Scary.

Have a commission? Lame lame lame.

McCain is drawing some contrasts and lying like banshee, but he's not being as aggressive as I might have expected, based on the last couple of days.

John, just for the record, I am not your friend.

Obama hit a home run with the environment question. Course, if he did not, he should turn in his credentials as a Democrat.

Brokaw is valiantly trying to reassert control of the debate. He is losing.

I know what a commodity is, and I know what Health Care is. When you put those two together, it makes no sense.

BIGGEST FUCKING LIE so far. There are NO mandates and NO fines in Obama's health plan. Trust me on this one.

Boy, Brokaw really biased that question: Healthcare -- a privilege, a right, or responsibility? Nice framing, Tommy.

I'm behind real-time because I am trying to feed the baby and blog simultaneously.

Obama: Health care IS a right. Okay, say it brother!

BINGO! "Middle Class!" I got it!

Rwanda and Holocaust: Obama is hitting the right notes. Overall, he is mostly playing the tactical game that I expected. He's not going to lose this debate significantly.

Oh, Matt, three yards and a cloud of dust will force a punt every time.

"Cool hand at the tiller" Um, John, that does not evoke a favorable comparison to your campaign this last month. Stay on message.

Obama carried himself well, promising to get bin Laden no matter what. Defuses the Pakistan gotcha a bit. McCain was also compelling here. I'll call this segment a draw.

Oh thank God Saint Petraeus finally got a reference. I was afraid we might not hear his name.

Evil empire -- Obama was boxed in and had to answer. As "the rookie" he is not permitted to display uncertainty. McCain has the latitude to give the right answer: "maybe," with a nuanced explanation.

Shaking the Chief Petty Officer's hand was a nice move.

Again with the "preconditions" thing. Sheesh.

Corwin is absolutely entranced by the debate. He is not eating a bite of his dinner.

Tom, just for your information, Obama has a 10 point lead in New Hampshire. It's not in play.

Crazy Andy is calling this not a win, but a "mauling" for Obama. Hmm. I liked what I saw, but I didn't think there was a big win on either side. McCain supporters have reason to think their candidate did well. I think Obama did well, but I didn't see a mauling.

Apologies for the poor quality of the live blog. Kids, dinner, and beer degraded the quality. Oh well.

Okay, Buchanan just said he thought Obama won. So it must have been a blowout. Olbermann says CNN snap poll gives it to Obama 54-30. Ouch.

7 comments:

Matt Dick said...

Obama pivots to 9/11. Nicely done -- unexpected for the Democrat, and segues to leadership. I think people are liking this.

This is what I mean by "Brazilean": You have no evidence in the least that people are liking this. You are liking this, and that's fine, but you project your feelings onto humans. All of them. It is enough to say, "This is a winning move, people should see how that works." or something.

John, just for the record, I am not your friend.

After 18 months I'm ready to shoot myself over this one. It's like Dodd's incessant "Here".

Oh, Matt, three yards and a cloud of dust will force a punt every time.

Yeah, but that's the quote. I wasn't debating football strategy, I was correcting your quote.

"Cool hand at the tiller" Um, John, that does not evoke a favorable comparison to your campaign this last month. Stay on message.

I think they were specifically hitting this point to try to counter the headless chicken we all detected over the last month.

Again with the "preconditions" thing. Sheesh.

Yeah, this kills me. I don't need these morons explaining the different between "preconditions" and "preparations". The truth is that there is no difference without a detailed explanation. Like all of these guys do occasionally, Obama didn't catch the nuance of that vocabulary word at exactly the moment of the question. Now he's stuck trying, painfully, to explain the difference between synonyms. He should have said (anytime in the last 100 days), "Look, I missed what the interviewer meant by "preconditions" but I've explained it well enough by now. I'm not going to spend my campaign taking vocabulary tests."

Buchanan usually calls it like it is. I think his saying Obama won is like anyone saying Obama won. I know I keep beating this drum, but Buchanan wants republicans to win, but he doesn't pretend they're always winning.

I thought Obama won, but on style. Neither one of them made the other say something he shouldn't have. Neither one fell on his face. Obama just looked calmer and more serious and didn't stumble as often verbally, and he had fewer canned-sounding responses. He certainly had plenty, and his "you know" thing is starting to bug me, but he won by being the smoother talker.

JimII said...

I think Obama won, too. But not by very much. The 54-30 number is kind of weird. Is that a thumping? Well, yes, because it's all about influencing voters. I suppose because I've been involved in competitive public speaking in my adult life, I feel the need to differentiate between doing much, much better and doing a little better, but it is just obvious to everyone.

Something else that is clear to me is that Obama's answer to the economic crisis is to focus on middle class people. I suspect he wants to help the poor out of obligation. That is consistent with his left of center notion of how to drive the economy. It was Bill Clinton's model as well.

John McCain, and Bush, and Reagan had a different policy, which is get the hell out of the market's way. The middle class and the poor will get theirs, too, but as a consequence of improving the economy. John McCain can't say that any more. It handicaps him in these debates, I think.

So, it is sort of an example of where the substantive failings come to light despite every effort to avoid such things.

Matt Dick said...

So, it is sort of an example of where the substantive failings come to light despite every effort to avoid such things.

I'd like to point something out. Our economy is failing, and some form of rules associated with banking, lending, borrowing and securitizing assets is to blame.

But this is not the final grade on deregulation that so many people seem to think it is. "Deregulation" is not one thing, and as I mentioned before, it's not even a "there are no rules" condition. It's a philosophy. Like the failure of the Soviet Union is not a condemnation of Karl Marx, AIG's failure in 2008 is not a condemnation of Alan Greenspan's 1960s essays on bad regulatory policies.

shadowfax said...

You have no evidence in the least that people are liking this.

CNN has the little "I like what I'm hearing" tracking lines at the bottom of the screen.

But this is not the final grade on deregulation that so many people seem to think it is.

Completely agree. there's a pendulum, and it's swung pretty hard towards less regulation over the last 20 years, and it's just now starting to swing back towards the center. I hope it doesn't swing *all* the way back to strangling over-regulation; I doubt it will.

Matt Dick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt Dick said...

You have no evidence in the least that people are liking this.

CNN has the little "I like what I'm hearing" tracking lines at the bottom of the screen.


That's an awesome comeuppance. I love it when stuff like this happens. I once watched a whole Bears game, and I was annoyed that they weren't doing well, and in frustration I emailed Luke and Murat about how the Bears putting Devin Hester on offense had ruined his return skills. I think I was not 30 seconds past hitting "send" when he broke a punt return for a touchdown and it was ten minutes later that he returned a kickoff for another.

Anonymous said...

I wish they'd stop calling them debates. I mean, I know they aren't, but it bugs.