I just looked at my sample ballot. I knew there were more than 2 presidential candidates but I never guessed there would be 16! I have 15 state amendments to educate myself about plus several more county, city and school district. I think I'd better get on the stick to get my ballot by mail.
Here's one that won't take much thought....
Amendment 48
Shall there be an amendment to the Colorado
constitution defining the term “person” to include any
human being from the moment of fertilization as
“person” is used in those provisions of the Colorado
constitution relating to inalienable rights, equality of
justice, and due process of law?
Here is a link (PDF) to my ballot.
4 comments:
That's so ridiculously awesome. I love it.
The great news is you get to vote in two races that matter. My votes essentially are meaningless, being in a deep blue state. Savor it.
On another note, I fricking hate government by initiative. They are all crazy, irresponsible, skewed props. Direct democracy is a terrible way to craft complex public policy. I almost always vote no on every initiative on our ballots.
We have an initiative this year called Majority Rules. It's an anti-tax measure that would require future ballot initiatives that raise taxes or obligate state spending be approved by at least a majority of registered voters for the proposals to become law.
So, basically, it would end the practice of starting programs through the initiative process.
I'm not sure I think it is so bad. Arizona need public development. Arizona needs more taxes for said purpose. But removing it from direct democracy may actually be a pretty good idea.
Frankly, if it was just all initiatives need to be approved by a majority of the registered voters, I'm pretty sure I'd vote yes on it.
I could be given 100,000 votes and Obama wouldn't even cross a room to shake my hand.
I just discovered that there will be early in person voting. Cool.
Post a Comment