Obama's cash on hand numbers are in, and they're astounding: He entered October with $133.6 million in the bank. [...] Combine Obama's cash on hand with the DNC's cash on hand number -- $27.4 million -- and you have a total Dem cash number of $161 million.
Meanwhile, McCain's cash on hand number entering October was $46.9 million, well under half of Obama's. Combine that with the RNC's cash on hand, which is $77.5 million, and you get $124.4 million in total GOP funds -- less than Obama's cash on hand alone, not even counting the DNC.
That puts the Dems nearly $40 million ahead of the GOP at the beginning of October, a significant financial advantage as time runs out.
I think Sargent missed the real point here: Obama has continued to raise money through fundraisers and the internets. If he pulls in another $100-150 million, that's 100% margin over McCain. McCain, having opted into public financing, cannot raise any more money. The RNC can, and has reliably outperformed the DNC this cycle, but they are committed to shoring up the down-ticket races, and the amounts raised by the committees has been a small fraction of what Obama has raised directly.
Actually, the world is upside down on the Dem side. Obama has so much money, he is considering giving some of it to the DCCC and DSCC.
1 comment:
Do we care that Obama said he would take public financing? I don't, but I'm pretty sure that is just because I'm giddy about my guy kicking the other guy's ass.
Liam, Any principled reason why I can feel okay about this?
Post a Comment