Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Couple of tid bits

My initial reaction to the Palin pick was: "This, my friends, is a gift." I got pretty freaked out for a while there when it looked like I might have been wrong, but the events have proved my initial analysis spot on. (With one exception: I said she was smarter than Quayle.) Some recent numbers from the a sprinkling of polls out today (Pew, NBC, WaPo):
  • Palin's unfavorables: 49-44 against (down from 34-52 for in Sept)
  • 55% think she is not capable of serving as president
  • 52% say McCain's pick of Palin has made them less confident in the decisions he'd make as president
  • Palin's qualifications to be president rank as voters' top concern about McCain's candidacy - ahead of continuing President Bush's policies, enacting economic policies that only benefit the rich and keeping too high of a troop presence in Iraq
I also note that the Palin pick has featured prominently in the rationales of conservatives who are opposing McCain.

Speaking of which: Colin Powell.

A question of protocol. I note he was almost invariably referenced in the news the last few days as "General Powell." But he was Secretary of State. A cabinet position outranks CJCS, and the highest title you have had is supposed to be the one that sticks with you, innit? What gives?

This is how McCain thinks he can win. (via Crazy Andy)Supposedly he's quietly pulling money from CO, NM, IA, and WI and plans to make a kamikaze run at PA. It seems crazy, especially since he's trailing by 10+ in PA but only 5-ish in CO. But he's running out of other viable electoral maps that can add up to 270. The electoral math is very much against McCain right now. If Obama keeps the Kerry states plus IA and NM, both of which he leads by a healthy margin, then McCain must run the table and successfully defend all of these states: VA, CO, FL, OH, MO, NC, NV, and IN. If Obama can pick up even one of these states, he wins -- and he's leading or tied in all of them right now. So he's got to pick up a Kerry state to offset the expected loss of one or two of the swing states, and PA is the only reasonable shot. A tall order.

One other media myth dies, unnoticed. The Hillary voters have come home. Or, at least the Obamacons are more than offsetting them. Obama has higher support within the Democratic party than McCain does within the GOP, and the numbers are pretty consistent with 2004 levels. Oh, and hispanics are voting for Obama in huge masses also. So much for those primary canards.

2 comments:

Matt Dick said...

Early on in Gary Barnett's tenure at NU, well before they'd beaten Notre Dame to turn the program around, NU was facing a tough opponent. I don't recall who their punt returner was, it was too early for it to be Antwan Randl-El.* But it was someone about that good.

Backed up deep into their own territory and facing 3rd and more than 10 yards to go, Barnett called for a surprise punt. On 3rd down it was a shock and the ball bounced harmlessly very far down the field with, of course, no return.**

I actually don't recall if NU won that game, but I think Barnett's best record prior to 1995 was 3-8 or 4-7 so I think probably not.

But I recall the interview after the game when he was asked about that play. The interviewer said something along the lines of, "Aren't you worried it's an embarrassment that your team gave up at that stage?" His reply was, "I'd rather lose 70-0 than 21-20 if I gave my team a *chance* to win."

I admire what McCain is doing in conceding the popular vote and conceding the best chance he has to make it respectable, because this strategy is a long-shot, but it's his best chance to win.

--

* If it definitely wasn't Randl-El, why do I mention him? Because when discussing trauma associated with watching your Big Ten team being unable to stop a kick returner, Randl-El is never far from one's thoughts.

** I couldn't find an plausible way to fit Paul Burton's name into that sentence, but when discussing long punts and Northwestern Football, one has to go there. Paul Burton was the best fielder of bad long snaps in the history of college football, and I did once see him execute a 90-yard net punt. No kidding, he actually kicked it and, without penalties, it went 90 yards with no return. Greatest punt I've ever seen.

JimII said...

The McCain map is a little scary to me. Looks like the linch pin is PA, right? I guess the 10 point lead should make me feel better, but it I don't know. I guess the point is, this looks like an awesome result for McCain, not an impossible one. I'm going to run over to 538.com and breath slowly.