Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fwd: Gaah

From MSNBC's First Read:

Undecided voters being tracked by the Denver Post are evaluating both candidates on character and becoming more and more exasperated. "'The more I learn about these candidates, the more fed up I get,' said Gary Jones, 57, a human-resources consultant in Littleton and part of a group of undecided voters… 'I want some specifics, but there aren't any. What I learned in the last debate was that everything was either all George Bush's fault or all the Democratic Congress' fault. That can't be.'"

Oh Lord, kill me now.   "I want specifics."   How, how, how is it possible that after eighteen months of campaigning, after six months of stark contrasts between these two very different candidates, after blizzards of paper and highly detailed policy proposals is it possible for any voter to complain about an absence of specifics without a black hole of irony forming and sucking them in?

I hate the fact that low-information voters tend to make their decisions based on superficial notions such as "character."  I guess there's one consolation: there is some growing evidence that "undecided voters" are not actually as undecided as they say they are, and that the "undecideds" are not actually the decisive margins in most elections.

Still: Gaah!

1 comment:

JimII said...

Yeah, I want specifics is another way of saying I'm lazy. We all have all the specifics we need. Frankly, the President isn't a king. He still has to get things by Congress. What you need to know is what he'll push for. And if you don't know that by know, well, you're never, never, never, never, going to know it.