Wednesday, October 22, 2008

For the Sake of Consistency

I think it is stupid that Palin has to give this deposition now. CNN version. I've seen civil depositions pushed off for all kinds of crap, like the attorney is on vacation. It is not nearly as bad as requiring a sitting president to be deposed in a years old sexual harasment civil case. But this is also stupid.

2 comments:

shadowfax said...

I dunno. There are two schools of though on this. I recall there was a report regarding the Bush administration (was it warrantless wiretapping? I can't recall the topic) which was scheduled to be released in Oct 2004, but it was held because it was politically explosive and the investigators didn't want it to unduly influence the election. So it was released in December. This pissed a lot of people off because it was entirely germane to the election and would have been good for the people to know before casting ballots.

Similarly, I see the abuse of power scandal as fairly relevant to Palin as a candidate for VP, and I feel that expediting the investigation is appropriate so that the results can (maybe) be released before the election.

What's more, recall that this was Palin's choice -- she initially said she would cooperate with the AK legislative investigation, then decided not to on the pretext that the HR board (or whomever) should investigate it.

JimII said...

I think the press withholding a story is completely different from a legal action that involves the candidate. It is standard practice to allow continuances for little tiny things, it should be allowed here.

The abuse of power investigation should not be run to inform the public about Sara Palin. It should be run to find out if she abused her power.