"Telecommunications of the United States, the premiere innovation in the past 15 years, comes right through the Commerce Committee. So you're looking at the miracle that John McCain helped create," Holtz-Eakin said. "And that's what he did. He both regulated and deregulated the industry."Obama has to take the shot, I guess. But this is irritating. They did the same f'ing change create to invent in the quote. It is exactly the same as Gore creating the internet, well, I assume, I don't know what McCain sponsored, but it sounds the same.
During the 2000 presidential campaign, Vice President Al Gore drew controversy when he said that during his time in Congress, he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" -- based on his work promoting funding and early research in that area.
The Obama campaign responded to the McCain adviser's comments Tuesday shortly after they were reported.
"If John McCain hadn't said that 'the fundamentals of our economy are strong' on the day of one of our nation's worst financial crises, the claim that he invented the BlackBerry would have been the most preposterous thing said all week," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.
Ug. I wonder if Fox will clear up the much repeated lie about Gore?
2 comments:
I'd much rather just excoriate McCain the way we did with Gore. I mean if we need to make them equal (and I think they are weirdly identical), I'd rather kick McCain than stroke Gore.
This is for two reasons, 1) I bitch-slapped Gore plenty good for his dumbass comment, and 2) and related back to why I slapped Gore, I am an engineer and *we* created the internet and blackberries. Regulation isn't even close to inventing, and it's not much closer to "creating".
These guys want, "Email: Brought to you by John McCain" on everything good.
I will submit Obama's response to this as further evidence that all these politicians are the same. You want to ennoble them, and I sure did with Obama initially, but they're no different. In other words, I think this is minor evidence that Obama would name Palin VP if it would help him.
I really did fall for Obama, naively. I still need to vote for him, and I will unhesitatingly, but I'm just back to my standard feeling of making a deal with the devil.
He's no different, he'll get me the judges I want, but he'll strap more regulations on my back, give me fewer freedoms, take what I earn and give it to the government and call it a success.
*sigh*
I didn't pay much attention to the Gore version of this controversy because it sounded like a dumb fake controversy and a waste of everyone's time, though I do vaguely recall checking his original comment at one point and not being too surprised that in reality he hadn't said anything outrageous and had qualified his claim pretty clearly to only mean that he had led the effort in government to create an environment where advances like the internet could flourish. Debate the extent to which government matters in that endeavor if you wish and with my blessing, but Gore didn't say anything worth worrying over for even a minute.
Sounds like McCain did essentially the same thing, with the caveat that he and his people knew how much s#!t got slung at Gore and how hypocritical they'd be to make any kind of similar claim. McCain shouldn't get blasted for saying that the commerce committee has a hand in helping technology companies flourish (though again, feel free to argue how much affect it really has all you like). McCain should get blasted for perpetuating a cynical, selfish, double-standard, anything-goes-for-me-nothing-is-allowed-for-you, debasing, irrelevant, stupid, stupid, stupid level of political discourse.
Obama's spokesman shouldn't get blasted for hitting back, but for hitting back on the wrong aspect of the thing and ending up adding to the stupidity.
Post a Comment