Okay Liberals, tell me why this is not your fault. Yes, this happens to be an insane right-winger, but he is empowered to decide what all schools teach based on his personal feelings because of the continual capitulation of standards to the decisions of authoritarian governments.
This is why I fight you, because as noble as your motives are when you want to put a smart, socially intelligent liberal in charge, you open the door for the next guy to have the same right to be in charge, and then you get this insanity.
Oh, and here's another one I blame on you people who think it's okay for the government to ban smoking. LA has banned fast food restaurants in certain areas where THEY FEEL the residents are too fat. You tell me how this isn't Orwellian, and the direct descendant of public smoking bans.
I can't imagine that anyone believes we live in the land of the free anymore, we clearly don't. George Bush is abusing a power the Democrats have been fighting for for 50 years.
1 comment:
Matt,
I am unclear why you think this is a "liberal" ill. The "conservative" party has been expanding the power of the government for the last forty years just as enthusiastically as the "liberal" party has. The pretext for the relentless expansion of government varies a bit sometimes -- the dems are sometimes more paternalistic or altruistic in their rationale, whereas the cons are more moralistic or militaristic -- but the pattern is the same.
I understand you are a small-government guy, but I do not know of a single politician who ever has tried to reduce the power or size of government once they were actually in power. Newt famously ran on a pledge to eliminate the Department of Education, but once Speaker, focused entirely on consolidating and expanding his power base.
And as for dictating education standards -- the Right has been trying to inject creationism and religion back into the schools for 50 years, so I can hardly lay the blame for that at the feet of liberals.
Post a Comment