Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Is Liam in touch with America?

This is what gives me... pause:

I happen to think that most of what Liam posts here about Palin (for example) is right. I followed his link (I think it was Liam) to Andrew Sullivan's blog and read a week's worth of posts there. By and large I agreed with Sullivan, as well. Well, let me qualify that.

I agree with Liam and Sullivan that Palin is a disturbing, disturbing candidate. I honestly can not imagine the innerworkings of someone who seems so willfully and fervently ignorant of science or world affairs or apparently even the simple irony of an unplanned teen pregnancy befalling the daughter of an advocate against sex education. It seems to me ludicrous that any individual who exhibits some of her traits could ever be taken seriously, especially as potential presidential material. Every ounce of logic, reason, and common sense tells me that this opinion should be self-evident to any observer, and that surely such a candidate will be defeated in a landslide. Liam and Sullivan seem to have some confidence that this will be borne out.

But, I wonder if their is any empirical evidence that this conclusion is likely, or even reasonable. In fact, it seems the history of the last 20+ years indicates that most rational, lucid adults see someone like Palin to be an ideal representative and steward of their values, opinions, and personal and national interests. This IS a nation that voted for Bush. Twice.

Is it unreasonable to wonder to myself if I am, in fact, the loon, the crank, the misguided? I feel exactly like the subject of the Twilight Zone episode where the "deformed" girl is pitied and put under the knife because she is the one human in a world of pig-faces.

3 comments:

shadowfax said...

Just to be clear, I have said on several occasions that I do NOT think that Palin will have a determinative effect on the election's outcome.

If she does, I think it will only be because the process winds up reflecting poorly on McCain.

shadowfax said...

And the nation only voted for Bush once. Just for the record.

James Parsons said...

Well, you call it a trainwreck, and I think that implies that it is a negative for the party, which I only wish I thought were so.

And as for 2000, I count the mere fact it was close as a demerit against the voting public, and certainly against my own ability to judge what Americans might actually want or need.