Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hereditary Journalism

I was vaguely aware that the son of the late Tim Russert was working for NBC as a political commentator. I know he's quite young -- just out of college, maybe. He posted an apology/correction for an on-air error, which got me thinking of him.

It's sort of funny -- jobs like the one he enjoys are rare and highly sought-after, and it smacks of nepotism to have the son of the late Bureau Chief just stroll into it straight out of college. But of course, I have a huge sympathy factor for a young man who just lost his father and given that the NBC news organization is a close-knit community, it seems nice that they were able to bring the kid into "the family business."

2 comments:

Matt Dick said...

He was an intern at Pardon the Interruption for Kornheiser and Wilbon.

He jumped to NBC at this ridiculous age, and it doesn't just smack of nepotism...

Matt Dick said...

I just read his apology, it was a good one. Mature and to the point. Not a "sorry if I offended anyone."