Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Relieved sigh


So the RNC/Palin bounce appears to be essentially over. After a few days' worth of positive trends, Obama now retakes the lead in all the major tracking polls:
Gallup O+2
Research 2000 O+4
Rassmussen O+1
Hotline/Diageo O+4
Zogby O+2
CBS/NYT O+5
I doubt this is simply the ebbing of the "bounce:" there are a lot of other factors at play. McCain's prolific dishonesty, some growing disenchantment with Palin, the economic meltdown; it's been a rough week for McCain, and Obama's tried to make some hay while the sun's shining. Given that, one might wonder whether this is too small of a shift. But compared to where we were a week ago, I'll gladly take it and hope we can build on it.

The electoral map polls aren't so pretty, but I gather (according to Nate Silver at 538) that those polls tend to lag a bit behind the national polls. There are some new ones out which show Obama even in FL and ahead in OH, but those are outliers at this point.

I like where we are. A week ago I was facing a terrible fear that we were squandering a god-given opportunity; we still may. But there's a nice trend, the fundamentals still favor the dems, and we have a slender lead. We're not into the homestretch -- We are just entering the final turn. But we're getting closer....

3 comments:

Matt Dick said...

I think the polls you cite are tracking popular vote. The electoral maps driven by those polls that I've seen still have McCain winning by a within-the-error margin.

shadowfax said...

True -- it's weird. I had noticed that when McCain had established a clear lead in all the national polls, Obama still lead in most battleground state polls, for some reason. Then McCain took a lead in the state polls when the national polls were trending back towards Obama. Now Obama has the lead but the state polls still favor McCain, though to a lesser degree.

538.com said that the states lag the national polls for some reason. I don't understand why, but those guys sure know polling better than anybody else. If the state polls now show a swing back to Obama this week, it will pretty much confirm that theory.

JimII said...

I'm not going to say it again.