Friday, September 5, 2008

missed this when it happened

Did anyone else watch the "Presidential Forum" from back before the conventions at Rick Warren's church? I caught up with it on YouTube and thought that it had potential as a template for informative discussion. I liked the conversational approach, without timers or interruptions from the opposition. I liked giving each candidate the same question without any knowledge of what the other said. I thought that the candidates had an excellent opportunity to respond directly and completely to the issues brought up, without needing to create soundbites or repeat talking points. Whether they did it or not, that's another matter.

The format was not ideal for all needs. No follow-up questions, no grilling the candidates to be more candid or accurate or direct than they chose to be. I think there's a meaningful need for objective journalists armed with facts and records to press for more. But, I do feel like I got the more relevant information from those 90 minutes about both men than I got in the total of the convention coverage.

Especially telling in my mind, the answers each gave to the question: "What is 'rich'? Give me a number."

4 comments:

Matlatzinca said...

Link? Pretty please?

James Parsons said...

This is the youtube link to the first of 10 clips that I watched. I'm sure you can google cleverly and find the complete broadcast in one take somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYAUIIE8oLA

Matt Dick said...

It was indeed a good format. I hate that the candidates need to appear at a church, and I think Rick Warren is a self-satisfied, preening schmuck. But the format is very good.

James Parsons said...

Yeah, I left out those criticisms, though I agree with them wholeheartedly.