Friday, September 12, 2008

Disbelief

Everyone knows that I live in a pretty politically charged home. I for the
most part stay quiet but informed. Recently one thing has really made me
quite angry. I have a real problem with all the women out there who are
saying that they are going to vote for McCain because of Sara Palin, whom
previously were Hilary supporters. How can you so actively support Hilary
and then turn around and vote for someone who is so diametrically opposed
to her. I understand wanting a women to finally climb the political ladder
but come on. It makes women look stupid and uninformed. I just can't
believe it. Basically these people are forgetting everything that is
important to them all for a figure head. Not the right way to get your
voice heard.

I will get off my soap box now

Liza

5 comments:

JimII said...

Liza,

This is kind of like all of the people criticizing Palin for not staying home with her kids. Are there really a whole bunch of Hillary supporters who'll vote for Palin?

I mean, if you supported Hillary, aren't you pro-choice? aren't you pro-science?

Do you know people personally that were Hillary supporters switching to McCain because of Palin?

shadowfax said...

Yes, Yes I do. And if you read our newspapers and listen to things such as NPR you will hear them say so. IT is was prompted me to write this post. Granted they have time to change their minds and some of them I don't know personally, but the truth is that there are people like this out there.

shadowfax said...

(The above comment was by Liza)

I don't think there were "Hillary voters" who are now supporting Palin, but there are clearly a large number of people who still subscribe to identity politics. I can see there being a class of women voters who are politically and ideologically neutral and who are very attracted to voting for "a woman." I don't know if there are a lot of them or not, but I've heard the nurses chat about it enough to believe the phenomenon is real.

Every time I talk politics at the nursing station, or simply listen to the nurses and techs talk politics (I try very hard to not get involved in those conversations), I am astonished by the reasons people cite for liking or disliking various candidates. It's almost scary. These are health professionals, smart and educated, but very low information voters. For them, it's often all about character with no interest in the policy implications of one candidate or another.

Democracy is amazing.

JimII said...

So we have to deamonize McCain/Palin with both barrels. We need to have a 527 that lists all of the lies John McCain has said about Palin and have the announcing say, "Remember when John McCain was someone who told you the truth? What happened to him?"

JimII said...

Responding to Liza, it is just so hard to believe that a person could really have supported HRC and now would vote for a ticket that includes Palin. I mean, are you sure this person would have voted for HRC and isn't just saying she would?

For example, I voted for John McCain in 2004. We had a nobody running against him and having a powerful Senator is good, etc. But it would be crazy for me to say the Palin pick is what is turning me off of McCain.