Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Temper, Temper

We talked a bit near the end of the Big Race about why we liked Obama's "Temperment" and thought it helped make him better fit for the job than McGrouchy. I specifically liked his steadiness and the way he was able to subsume minor daily insults while keeping his eyes on the higher goal.

I think we have more reason to like what we see from President-elect Obama in a way that makes me think he may fulfill some of the promise of Candidate Obama.

First of all, he takes his blood rival and offers her State. Brilliant. It will pull her out of the Senate and tie her reputation to the success of his administration. More bluntly, she won't be able to quietly undermine or bedevil Obama from within the senate. If she accepts, she's co-opted completely. If she declines, he looks all the more magnanimous for offering, and she may well feel gratitude to him for the offer.

Second, today the senate democrats voted whether to take away Lieberman's gavel as chair of Homeland Security. Due in large part to Obama's intercession on Lieberman's behalf, the Dems voted to allow Joe to remain chair.

Now I admit that I am pissed about that; I wanted to see Joe punished in some meaningful way for betraying and smearing Obama. But Barack had a different plan. And while I don't like this decision, it makes me like Obama more.

Once in power, did he spend his time settling scores and seeking retribution against those who had stood against him? Nope, he brought his rivals onto his team and forgave the prodigal son in the name of party unity. He doesn't want to get distracted from his larger goals, and if his senate caucus is stronger with Joe, then Joe stays. This guy has ice in his veins, truly. If he can govern like this, he may turn out to be a very effective president indeed.

No comments: