In the legends, Diogenes of Sinope wandered the streets of Athens in broad daylight carrying a lamp. Asked what he was doing, he replied that he was looking for an honest man, but had not found one yet.
I look at Obama, and all we have vested in him now, and hope that he can fit that mold. I am not asking for too much. I know he does not walk on water, that some of his polices will disappoint me, he will make mistakes and he will fail in some important way. I can live with that. He's human.
But I think back to all the disappointments we've had from our leaders and heroes. Clinton, Edwards, and Spitzer couldn't keep it in their pants. Representative Jefferson sold his office. Marion Barry snorted cocaine. I could go on. To my knowledge, Obama has no skeletons in his closet, which is why I think he was able to win. All I am asking for is that Barack Obama actually be the sort of person he seems to be: an honest man, and let him remain so.
I hope that's not too much to ask.
1 comment:
Let's all raise a glass to that sentiment.
Post a Comment