Okay, pure horse-race politics here. It's just three days away (finally) and it's time to put my chips on the table. Here's my predictions for Tuesday night. I may be hysterically wrong, or prophetic, but's that's the fun of predicting, right?
President:
- Obama-Biden 379 EVs
- McCain-Palin 159 EVs
- Turnout: 130,000,000 votes
- 70,000,000 Obama
- 60,000,000 McCain
- or Obama 54%-46% (neglecting third parties)
State-by state results:
Obama keeps all the other Kerry states and wins the "battleground" states of: FL, NC, VA, GA, OH, PA, MI, WI, MN, IA, MO, CO, NM, NV
GA is my long-shot pick. CW is it's out of reach, but turnout there may surprise us. Obama has made plays for IN, WV, AZ, and has a chance at LA, MT and the Dakotas, but I predict all of those will narrowly stay in the McCain column.
Here's my predicted map:
Senate:
Dem 58
Rep 42
This includes Lieberman and Sanders in the Dem caucus, for the sake of argument.
Dem Pickups:
- VA Warner (open)
- NH Shaheen (Sununu)
- NM Udall (open)
- CO Udall (open)
- AK Begich (Stevens)
- OR Merkley (Smith)
- NC Hagan (Dole)
House:
Let's say a net Dem pickup of 20 seats for a Congress composed of 256 Dem to 178 Rep. That's a conservative estimate, but there have been a few setbacks in the House races recently. A big Obama night could conceivably run the Dems up to as much as 270 seats. That really would require running the table.
Background:
The cool map up there is courtesy of the Daily Kos Political Scoreboard. I don't care if you think DKos is a bunch of lefty haters, you've got to go check out the scoreboard. It's the coolest toy ever for a political junkie. You can of course play with the EV map, but you can also drill down to the state level, graphically looking at county-by county results, or individual congressional district results historically, all of which will be updated in real time on Tuesday. It's very very cool. Also, 538.com has a wealth of data on the current state of the races, and NBC's political guru Chuck Todd has a nice state-by-state walkthrough as well.
Okay, there it is. Now you all know that I am terribly, terribly wrong. Tell me where, and why.
2 comments:
Here is my map.
http://tinyurl.com/6jt4ob
I'm picking Indiana to be the surprise Obama pick-up. Partly for sentimental reasons, and partly because I expect some of Obama's soldiers from Illinois will go over to IN now that WI is so solid.
I get 333 to 205. I'm picking Florida to eventually go red. I just can't bring myself to believe Florida will do anything other than bring pain to the country. Also, I wonder what the illegal immigrant story will do in a state where immigration is an issue.
Finally, these picks allow me to be excited if Obama has an unexpectedly good night.
Conservative picks, but can't argue. I note that you didn't give him NC either. NC is a true toss-up.
Tuesday has the potential to be fun!
Post a Comment