So Hillary at State? I mean, if it's just a tactical posture by Barack to make a display of inclusiveness by offering Hillary the job, great. Nice move, and classy if it was made in good faith. But seriously, why would she want it? She's got a lifetime seat in the Senate, from which she can build some serious power as her seniority increases, and from which she might be able to seriously impact the healthcare reform debate, which remains a passion of hers. If chance allows, the Senate remains a great place from which to run for President. (Though I think 2008 was her only shot. She'll be 69 in 2016.)
But State? Seriously? The average tenure at State is like 2-3 years, and it's a hard job. Rarely does anyone last 4-6 years, which is a blink of an eye in the Senate. Unless she's looking to retire, that doesn't make sense. And while she might be a good diplomat, especially with co-secretary Bill, it's not health care, and the job is largely driven by external contingencies.
Really, I'll be fascinated to see how this plays out, but I'd be astonished and perplexed if she took the post.
1 comment:
He has to offer it to her now. It leaked and the country sees her as a viable candidate. He's stuck and that was not a good move.
I think she'll take it. She's a natural legislator, but she's too ambitious to turn down an executive post. You're right that she gives up a auto-renewal seat in NY.
And she's not qualified. There are 100 different men and women who "do foreign policy" more than she does--as you point out, she's still passionate about domestic issues. In fact, she and BClinton have been running as domestic policy candidates since he was 31 years old.
Post a Comment