Saturday, June 14, 2008

Testing Wesley Clark for VP ?

Is the Obama camping testing Wesley Clark and Jim Webb for VP?
Wesley Clark seem to question McCain's national security expertise claim.
And Jim Webb noting that patriotism doesn't equal republican opinion.
Any bets?

About Oil.
What of the opinion that when prices get really high the market will react more expeditiously, and will come up with alternative fuel solutions? Which in the long run is the only viable solution.

3 comments:

Matt Dick said...

I've been so wrapped up with school the last two weeks that I'm off the minute details, so I'm not up on all the VP ins and outs.

But on the oil front, I'm unsure what "really high" will end up meaning. I think it's still going to be a long time before we see alternative fuel. I think it will build very slowly, and then finally tip over and we'll go from 1% of the cars on the road being alternative to 25% in some ridiculous time frame like 5 years. But that tipping point is, I think, still 25 years off.

I hope I'm wrong and that $6 gas and a proliferation of nuke plants will bring it to pass in less than 10.

shadowfax said...

Clark would be an interesting choice -- military background, and a Clinton confidante. But I recall him as a tepid campaigner, and never really got what it was he "stood for."

As for oil, I agree with Matt. The alternatives are being worked on heavliy, and a lot of money is being poured into their development. The failure of any large-scale energy development is not for lack of trying, it's that the technical hurdles are so far insurmountable. $5, $7, or $10/gallon gas won't change that. It will probably change the way we drive, and the cars we drive, but the high cost of gas alone won't end the carbon economy.

Matlatzinca said...

I'm still going for Sebelius for VP, largely on the strong leadership in her governorship, as well as bringing a woman to the ticket. I think that if Obama wants to really rally the Hillary supporters he will need a woman running mate.

As for oil... I think that we will manage to engineer a way out of the drilling-based oil economy and into a synthetic oil economy before we see conversion to alternative fuels. J. Craig Venter has a fantastic talk about this on the TED talks website. Let me fetch the link: here it is.