Sunday, June 22, 2008

Campaign FInance Reform?

We don't need no stinking campaign finance reform!

Yes, yes, you partisans are going to apologize for him by pointing out that the reason for the promise was that the rules make it easy for "big money" to have undue influence and that his little donors won't have that.

Okay. But he said he wouldn't and now that he's got more money he's going to do it anyway.

It's wrong, it's bad, and it's not appropriate to the man that was going to change politics.

6 comments:

Matlatzinca said...

Do you disagree with the premise that since most of the contributors have given $100 or less, that this has the net effect intended by public financing of campaigns?

Ideologically I agree with you, that Obama should continue to push for campaign finance reform leading by example. However strategically I can't see how he could have accepted. He will face a tremendous uphill battle against race, I am convinced of this. Having the ability to truly fight for acceptance will be crucial to winning in November.

Matt Dick said...

I agree that it's his best bet to win, but it just an indication that he's no better than anyone else. Whatever it'll take, he'll do.

shadowfax said...

Meh. If he'd reneged in order to do what McCain is doing -- redirect all his donors to donate in larger amounts, to the RNC/DNC, that would bother me more.

There's nothing magical about "public funding." The idea of public funding was as, you pointed out, to reduce the corrupting influence of corporate and big donors. He's funded by small donors. So there's no betrayal of principle here. He changed his mind and adapted to a changed strategic situation. I don't agree that it's wrong and bad.

More disturbing is McCain's violation of the law that bears his own name. The guy accepted public funds for the primary when his campaign was moribund, used that guarantee to secure a private loan, and then reneged on the public funding commitment when he no longer needed it. Flatly illegal. He'll get away with it, though, because the FEC is impotent (doesn't even have a quorum of confirmed members).

However, I actually like what I see in Obama's decision. He knew he was going to take a PR hit with this move; it was unavoidable. So he takes the hit in a slow news cycle and reaps the long-term benefit in September and October. Smart, and dare I say just a little ruthless. The sort of Democrat I like -- plays to win, and won't bring a knife to the gun fight. Is this guy from Chicago or what?

Matt Dick said...

There's nothing magical about "public funding."

No, there isn't. Unfortunately this move leaves me with the unmistakable disappointment that there's nothing magical about Barack Obama either.

James Parsons said...

Between this and the relatively speaking insignificant snafu of moving the "too-Muslim" looking rally attendees out of camera view, I dispatched a letter to Obama HQ (or rather, sent an email via Obama.com which I'm sure will be read by dedicated intern #307). The gist of it was that while I was inspired and hopeful about the big picture of Obama as candidate and President, I hoped he'd be wary of letting the "everyday" political expediency lead him down a slippery slope.

That said, this is the first time ever that my chosen candidate actually became a nominee, let alone won the whole thing. At this stage, and in comparison to where we've been, I'm more than willing to accept a little JFK-type inspiration in exchange for JFK-type slightly-above-average decision and policy making.

shadowfax said...

Unfortunately this move leaves me with the unmistakable disappointment that there's nothing magical about Barack Obama either.

Aha. I understand you better now. For all my Obama-mania I've had a tempered view of the man for a while now. As a raving progressive, I wanted Barack to come into the senate and set things on fire, but his instincts have proven cautious and centrist. For example, he backed the recent heinous FISA compromise -- a much worse transgression IMO than any campaign finance thing.

He's already disappointed me as not a magical or divine creature. Be doesn't walk on water. I think he'll be a great president, and I think he does have some transformative capability. But I've already seen him playing the politics game, so I'm not disillusioned by seeing it now.

Now, I would be genuinely disappointed if he were to be tarred with a genuine ethical scandal -- like a Whitewater thing, only real. That would be pretty hard to bear. Hopefully he's as squeaky-clean as he appears, and can stay so...