Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How to Demonize Liberals

Josh and I were chatting in the comments about whether liberals are condescending. I had just finished typing my response while watching Stewart and Colbert in the other browser. (I could get rid of my TV now that they put their shows on their web sites in hi-resolution.) They had the tangentially related amusing clip embedded below:


Anyway, it seems to me that the "liberals are elitist" meme isn't substantially different from the "liberals are condescending" meme.

It's a pretty effective rhetorical tactic: Those other guys think they're better than you! Pair it with the "Liberals are against God/Guns/Gays/the Flag," and you've got a great way to rally your base against those damn west coast liberals!

2 comments:

Matt Dick said...

But you *do* think you know the answer to every single problem for every single person in every single circumstance. Why isn't this condescending?

shadowfax said...

Matt, you need to distinguish my arrogance from my condescension. Just because I know how irrefutably awesome I am, I'm not condescending till I tell you how much you suck.

And oh, how you suck. Let me count the ways...


;) just for the record.