One: I think it is funny to hear people talk about what is and is not legal. There is no such thing in a case like this. There are better and worse arguments, but what is or is not legal is something a judge will determine if asked.
Two: I think it is annoying that when something is over our heads, like the ramifications of seating a man appointed by a dubious process, we cannot have some respect for the process and professionals and let them work it out. Comments like, "Well, I just wish they would get to doing the people's business," like this is an easy situation, bug the crap out of me.
4 comments:
I totally agree with you. Are people really saying that "they should just get to doing..."? I know the politicians involved are all saying it, but mostly the people of the "great state of Illinois" are mostly just shaking their heads over the audacity of Blagojevic. I honestly just don't give a crap about Illinois being "properly represented" or whatever other BS people say. If Illinois misses a few votes, I just don't think *my* interests are going to be so radically undermined. Whatever.
And not having a governor? Oh, you mean because of how great it's been to have the last two felons? Honestly, Illinois can get along a little less governed for a few months.
I think that right now Harry Reid had given himself a little more wiggle room when he drew a line in the sand and insisted he would not seat Burris. If he has to capitulate and seat him, it'll be pretty humiliating. If he continues to refuse, it makes it that much harder to seat Franken.
And I have to say that I personally feel that this is a legal appointment and there seems to be little valid grounds to refuse it. So it's a loser politically, and a loser legally -- pretty much sums up the Harry Reid era!
Gah... frigging typos. I meant to say that "I think that right now Harry Reid WISHES that he had given himself a little more wiggle room."
I need to riff on this theme as well. I hate it when people complain that judges set policy, especially in highly technical areas. The truth is that when Congress passes a complicated bill that none of them reads about a complicated area of technology that none of them understands, it is not only inevitable that a judge make policy, he or she is forced to make policy when a gray area arises.
Post a Comment