Per Politico: President Obama listened to Republican gripes about his stimulus package during a meeting with congressional leaders Friday morning - but he also left no doubt about who's in charge of these negotiations. "I won," Obama noted matter-of-factly, according to sources familiar with the conversation.
MSNBC on the House GOP's irrelevance:
"The job of the minority is to make a quorum and to draw its pay."
Obama reverses abortion gag rules.
Newsweek on the rapid turnabout in official policies:
After Inauguration Day, departed presidents usually become footnotes pretty quickly. What we are witnessing now is far more dramatic. It's closer to a liquidation, or a cauterization. George W. Bush is being turned into an unperson, like a character out of Orwell. It's been only two days, and there is scarcely a trace of not only his personal presence, but of his policies.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying this week. You?
MSNBC on the House GOP's irrelevance:
"The job of the minority is to make a quorum and to draw its pay."
Obama reverses abortion gag rules.
Newsweek on the rapid turnabout in official policies:
After Inauguration Day, departed presidents usually become footnotes pretty quickly. What we are witnessing now is far more dramatic. It's closer to a liquidation, or a cauterization. George W. Bush is being turned into an unperson, like a character out of Orwell. It's been only two days, and there is scarcely a trace of not only his personal presence, but of his policies.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying this week. You?
4 comments:
Yeah, this is pretty cool. I remember when W took over and being just dumbfounded by how much power the president has.
This is way better.
So power is better when it coincides with your own perspective?
No, I hear you. Power is better when used judiciously and rationally. This is WAY better.
On abortion gag rules though: do you think that was only put in place so late in W's presidency because he knew it would be overturned by his successor?
On power: I was mostly just glad that it meant that Obama was actually going to govern according to the principles he campaigned on, rather than compromise unnecessarily or pre-emptively capitulate, which has been the democratic MO for quite some time. Power is only useful when actually exercised, and it seems like dems have a genetic fear of actually using power when they have it.
The abortion gag rule goes back to the Reagan or Bush I administration. Clinton reversed it on Roe v Wade day 1993, and Bush reinstated it on Roe day 2001. So, hardly new.
I think it is way better when power is used in accordance with my views. I don't think that is a universal test.
I'm not sure I understand the gag rule comment. It was the first thing he did, right?
Post a Comment