Every Congressperson who voted to bail out the auto industry is honor-bound to make a public announcement as to the merits of this case. I'm quite serious.
My opinion has nothing to do with the porn angle, other than it might expose them to more scrutiny, but I need to hear why the auto industry is unique.
Do you think there is any value in manufacturing goods in the United States? In other words, it seems that over the decades, as soon as the transactional costs were sufficiently low, manufacturing has gone overseas. That's because its easier to exploit workers and the environment overseas than here, and therefore cheaper, right? Setting aside that there may be value in supporting industries that pay workers more and harm the environment less, does the US have an interest in making equipment here instead of there.
(The answer can be yes, but Toyotas are built here. Fine. I'm just saying is there a reason that might not show up on a balance sheet to want to keep manufacturing in the U.S.)
My father feels that if we lose the ability to manufacture (and specifically vehicles and aircraft) that we will lose the ability to create and support our military and ability to defend ourselves. I think there is some merit to the argument. Unfortunately, it can be applied to just about anything. Say we manufacture here but rely on cheap steel from imports. Couldn't someone then cut off our steel supplies and impact our ability to manufacture?
I'm not even attempting to address Matt's original post or Jim's question. I'm just arguing with myself.
4 comments:
Every Congressperson who voted to bail out the auto industry is honor-bound to make a public announcement as to the merits of this case. I'm quite serious.
My opinion has nothing to do with the porn angle, other than it might expose them to more scrutiny, but I need to hear why the auto industry is unique.
They get publicity. They get to make some Congress persons uncomfortable trying to answer Matt. Perhaps they have a sense of humor ;-)
Do you think there is any value in manufacturing goods in the United States? In other words, it seems that over the decades, as soon as the transactional costs were sufficiently low, manufacturing has gone overseas. That's because its easier to exploit workers and the environment overseas than here, and therefore cheaper, right? Setting aside that there may be value in supporting industries that pay workers more and harm the environment less, does the US have an interest in making equipment here instead of there.
(The answer can be yes, but Toyotas are built here. Fine. I'm just saying is there a reason that might not show up on a balance sheet to want to keep manufacturing in the U.S.)
My father feels that if we lose the ability to manufacture (and specifically vehicles and aircraft) that we will lose the ability to create and support our military and ability to defend ourselves. I think there is some merit to the argument. Unfortunately, it can be applied to just about anything. Say we manufacture here but rely on cheap steel from imports. Couldn't someone then cut off our steel supplies and impact our ability to manufacture?
I'm not even attempting to address Matt's original post or Jim's question. I'm just arguing with myself.
Post a Comment