Monday, August 11, 2008

Edwards

So John Edwards had an affair, in 2006. I have to admit I was surprised and disappointed. I always disliked his politics, I think he'd be a terrible chief executive, and he's disingenuous and opportunistic.

But...

I always liked his non-political manner, I thought his family seemed grounded and real, and the love he showed to his wife and kids seemed genuine and heart-warming. Turns out he's a yucky guy after all. I would have guessed I could have pegged his genuine-ness, but I am as bad at judging someone's character as anyone I guess.

Still, I'm disappointed.

2 comments:

shadowfax said...

yeah, me too. I liked Edwards.

Thing is, as a political matter, this *is* significant, unlike, say, McCain's affair. I hate to say it, really, because I hate the culture of personal destruction that has grown up over the past sixteen years. But Edwards, unlike Clinton, did not have his moral failure when he was already President, or years and years before he ran for president. He apparently concluded the affair only a few months before announcing his candidacy, and ran knowing that there was this ticking time bomb in his closet (if I may mix my metaphors).

He put himself forward for this office, and asked the democratic voters to trust him, *knowing* that he was not trust-worthy, and that his failings could damage the party. How awful would this week have been for the democrats if he had won the nomination?

Whatever -- he's done, politically, and I don't need to hate him or condemn him. But as a Democrat, I *am* PISSED at him.

Anonymous said...

Jim, it was from you that I first heard the story and of the Scorpion and the Frog.