I think the Warren choice is bullshit, but if we want a silver lining, it's that the President of the United States has just said:My point exactly, better said. The rhetoric may be overblown a bit; it's not the end of the world that Warren gets up on the big stage. But it's good the dirty fucking hippies are around to hold Obama accountable and push him back to the left.
I am fierce advocate for equality for gay and—well, let me start by talking about my own views. I think it is no secret that I am a fierce advocate for equality for gay and lesbian Americans. It is something I have been consistent on and something I intend to continue to be consistent on during my presidency.
That's not a bad silver lining. But let me add this to John -- Obama wouldn't be out there making perhaps the strongest statement in support of gays and lesbians by a president (though he's still not technically one, I know) if it wasn't for the sturm and drang this choice generated. It is precisely this backlash that has forced Obama to clearly affirm his commitment to equality. And it will be continued pressure that will force him to do the right thing on the issue.
If we shut up, he'll take the path of least resistance. And that path of least resistance is kowtowing to the conservative media, the clueless punditocracy, and bigots like Warren.
Crazy Andy added:
So let's see those stated policy positions enacted, shall we? Repeal DOMA, enact federal civil unions, repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and invite as many Christianists to the second inaugural as you want.
2 comments:
Yeah, repealing don't ask don't tell means going back to asking you dumb ass! I seriously hate these people some time. Do they really not know what the policy was before don't ask don't tell!? I signed a paper every quarter swearing I was not gay. That was the former policy. Dipshit.
The message to Republicans is that Obama's base is super weak. They will absolutely be demoralized in 2010. No problem winning back seats if not the majority.
Oh, and on merits, if you are so one-issue-voter close minded that you can't even listen to a prayer from someone you disagree with on an issue, you are part of the problem. It isn't that Obama "has to" reach out to evangelicals, it is that he wants to, it is that it is the right thing to do.
Ug!!!!!
I guess it is not just about repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell. I still get livid when I hear people criticize Clinton for the policy. It was a huge step forward; at least from a policy perspective even if the backlash had the opposite effect.
Post a Comment