Unbelievable. Unfrickingbelievable. Awesomely unbelievable. The did a fucking perp walk on the goddamn governor!
This is not how things work. Typically, it's the Ted Stevens dance -- a special prosecutor, a grand jury, an indictment, and a trial. Handcuffs are not worn unless there's a conviction and appeals are exhausted. If the Federal Marshals barged into the office of the governor, put him and his chief of staff in cuffs, and frog-marched him to a squad car, they are sending a clear and unmistakable message:
He's guilty and we have a smoking gun.
Hysterical.
So who's the Illinois Lieutenant Governor? That office is suddenly relevant.
I feel kinda bad -- I have a nostalgic soft spot in my heart for Blagojevich, since I stumped for him in 1996 (as part of the Clinton campaign -- I was assigned to the 5th CD). But since by all accounts he's been a bad governor and corrupt to boot -- good riddance. More and better Democrats.
Update: He was apparently considering naming himself to the Senate seat (or threatening to do so to drive up the price for the seat). Also I can't help but notice that the US Attorney on this case is Patrick Fitzgerald -- the same one who investigated Daley's office, brought down IL Governor Ryan, Conrad Black, and Scooter Libby. He's a busy guy, and his reputation is that of a bulldog with unimpeachable integrity. Poor Roddy is a goner if this guy has in in his sights.
A funny quote I saw on Daily Kos: Anyone elected Governor of Illinois should be "pre-indicted" on the day they're elected, saving the Feds the trouble.
There's More: Apparently the Gov wanted some love from Obama, but to his credit, the O-team wouldn't play ball.
4 comments:
Pat Quinn... his wikipedia page was updated as "acting governor" by at least 10:30am. By all accounts he's a workmanlike, honest man, with an undistinguished mind. Probably just what Illinois needs.
From the filed charges:
"Defendants ROD BLAGOJEVICH and JOHN HARRIS, together with
others, attempted to use ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s authority to appoint a United States Senator
for the purpose of obtaining personal benefits for ROD BLAGOJEVICH,"
How unbelievably corrupt an environment must the Illinois executive branch be? They tried to sell a senate seat, for God's sake.
Apparently they have him on tape saying "I want money."
Geez, this keeps getting better and better.
Do you think we can use this to void all of the stupid laws he has signed?
From CNN:
The governor also often weighed the option of appointing himself to the Senate seat, saying he was "stuck" at governor and might have access to more resources as a senator than as a governor, the affidavit says. A Senate seat could also help him remake his image ahead of a possible presidential run in 2016. "If ... they're not going to offer anything of any value, then I might just take it," he said in one conversation.
Post a Comment