Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Awesome

Via Political Wire:

Commerce Secretary-designate Bill Richardson tells Esquire how his new boss saved him during a Democratic primary debate:

"As I'm chatting with Obama, the moderator says, 'Governor Richardson, what do you think of that?' And I look at him like a deer in the headlights. I was about to say that I hadn't heard, when Obama puts his hand over his mouth and says, 'Katrina.' So I gave my four-point plan on Katrina. When I was done and the debate moved on, I looked over and said, 'Thanks, you're okay.' He said, 'Nothing to it, brother.'"

3 comments:

JimII said...

See, Richardson is a big name who keeps making me think he is a dummy. This is not a great story to tell for those purposes.

Matt Dick said...

No, it's kind of mystifying for at least three reasons:

1) It makes Richardson look foolish, and not in that nice self-deprecating way of, say, a George Bush, Sr. where he tells some folksy story about something he did that was foolish, but in the context of him shooting down Japanese fighter planes over the Pacific.

2) It makes you wonder about Obama. Is he truly nice in that situation, or was he just so sure that it was never going to come down to him and Richardson that a bone-throw was a good long-term move?

3) Do debaters really chat during the debate when a third-party is answering a question?

shadowfax said...

Oh, I just thought it was funny in its own right -- the kids who got called on when goofing off in class, only on national TV. I wasn't making a point about either O or R. Just a great story, and I love stories.

Richardson is definitely a doofus, if an accomplished one.

And as for the debate, I'm pretty sure it was one of those dog & pony shows with all 27 candidates on stage at once (including Mike Gravel), so I didn't find it too surprising that it wasn't treated with the same gravity as the final Obama-McCain debate. I was a little surprised that they managed to have a sidebar with the cameras on, though.