Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hopefully my final comment on the subject

I have really spent time on the HClinton comments about Bobby Kennedy. Until yesterday I couldn't figure out why it has captivated me so much. But I think I know now. Everyone keeps saying something to the effect of, "It was clumsy, and she handled the apology badly, but we know what she meant and it was simply a historical reference."

Okay. It was a historical reference. A historical reference of how a candidate was shot to death, resulting in the second place guy taking over first place.

She was asked plainly, "Why are you still in this race?"

Her reasonably plain answer was, "Because things happen to front-runners. Sometimes front-runners are shot to death."

Now obviously she didn't use those words exactly, but the longer I think this through, the harder it is for me to see it as anything but a plain reference to the chance that Obama could be killed. Now I'm not saying she's wishing for it, because no one can know another person's heart (but incidentally I really do think she would see his assassination as all to the good), but she *did* go there. She did. The historical reference was still a reference to her current situation.

So I am just losing my patience with giving her a pass. It's not a firable offense, but it is what it is -- she is staying in because Obama might get hit by a bus, figuratively or literally.

No comments: