Monday, July 14, 2008

How does she fit?

I'm on record in this forum as saying Crist is McCain's VP. Well since Crist is gay now, they're going to have to go another direction. This Sunday made it clear that they're trying Carly Fiorina on for size.

Things going for her as a pick:

  • She's young (age 53)
  • She's very, very smart and accomplished (CEO of HP)
  • She's all business (counteracting McCain's perceived lack of economic chops)
  • She's a woman which can only help in this election of change
  • She speaks beautifully, which is no surprise given her background, but the interviews this weekend went very smoothly. She was forceful, polite, and stayed on message
  • She's attractive (useful when going against the young vibrancy of Obama)--for the record, I don't mean attractive in the usual way, she's not a beauty, but she's got the same elan of youth that emanates from the Obama campaign)
  • Her father was (is?) a federal judge so there's some tie-back to public service
  • She started at HP as a temporary secretary--can you draw a more compelling backstory?

I think it's an inspired choice, if they go with her, the person who came up with her name needs to be praised.

2 comments:

shadowfax said...

Well thought out. I wouldn't bet much money against her -- though at this point my money is on Romney (please please please). Only knocks on Carly:

-- Her tenure at HP could be described as somewhere between mixed to catastrophic, depending on how uncharitable you choose to be. She did get fired with prejudice in the midst of a lot of scandal. I doubt that this is relevant, or that voters will remember or care.
-- No elected office at all, no public office at all. Hm. It's been done, I am sure, but is quite non-traditional these days.

I'd put her as likely Sec Treas or something like that in a (very) hypothetical McCain administraion. Could be, though -- as you say "inspired" might well be the public reaction to her, and that might change the dynamics of the race.

BTW -- are there new Crist gay relevations that I didn't hear about? Just curious.

Matt Dick said...

He's engaged to a woman and the move is a clear beard. Some gay bar owner alleges Crist was there and openly gay in the '80s or '70s.

Fiorina definitely was embattled, but even her critics admit HP's current uptick is the foundation she laid. She did falter at that level, but all CEOs are under intense scrutiny at some level or other. Lots of big-time politicians' careers are just a series of failures until they take highest office.