President Obama did better, in my mind, in the Americas than in Europe. Europe, on some level, is a steady lost cause. They are big and intractable, they can't solve their own problems and they need constant help. If they can't get it from the United States then they'll get it from Russia. They don't seem to see the difference, which is why we need to stay focused on them.
The Americas is more interesting. Their problems seem bigger, and they are certainly more immediate, but they are also more solvable. First of all, we must deal with Mexico. Calderón has wisely made the first invitation and we nee to jump on it. We have to stop the flow of weapons into Mexico and help Calderón stop the flow of drugs back. But we have the first move to make here, and it's about the guns. I hope and pray Obama knows that. A healthy Mexico is vital for our continued long-term health, and they are dangerously close to being a narco-state right now.
da Silva seems open to working with Obama as well, and nothing would be better for the United States than helping Brazil dominate a peaceful South America. If Brazil continues to grow, and gets prosperous in a sustainable way, then they will partner with us in trying to stabilize the rogue nations that cause so much trouble. Brazil with a stake in a peaceful Columbia, Nicaragua, Venezuela and Argentina is an invaluable ally.
I don't even know what to say about Chávez. He's a clown. I tend toward being worried about him causing an interruption in our oil supply, but the truth is that in the end he's an elected official in a state that is well-educated and stable. They'll remove him if he threatens to cut off our oil money.
And Ortega basically kicked Obama in the teeth for an hour. But he's from Nicaragua, so I'm not sure Obama's strategy of pretending he didn't notice wasn't the right one. Nicaragua's GDP is less than a quarter the size of West Viriginia's. Let him kick.
I think we need to end the embargo on Cuba. I loved Peggy Noonan's idea from This Week, she said we should end the embargo now so Castro, on his death bed, can enjoy wathching American tourists trying to take his picture through the window. She said, "What a way to go!"
Latin and South America is a mess right now, but a mess that can be cleaned up, we have good, strong partners. I am very hopeful for a strong, peaceful hemisphere. I don't get optimistic very often, and it's strange that now, when Mexico is such a tragedy, that I feel the most hope. I think, in the end, that it's Calderón. He's got the hardest job in the world right now and he's rising to the challenge.

The Americas is more interesting. Their problems seem bigger, and they are certainly more immediate, but they are also more solvable. First of all, we must deal with Mexico. Calderón has wisely made the first invitation and we nee to jump on it. We have to stop the flow of weapons into Mexico and help Calderón stop the flow of drugs back. But we have the first move to make here, and it's about the guns. I hope and pray Obama knows that. A healthy Mexico is vital for our continued long-term health, and they are dangerously close to being a narco-state right now.
da Silva seems open to working with Obama as well, and nothing would be better for the United States than helping Brazil dominate a peaceful South America. If Brazil continues to grow, and gets prosperous in a sustainable way, then they will partner with us in trying to stabilize the rogue nations that cause so much trouble. Brazil with a stake in a peaceful Columbia, Nicaragua, Venezuela and Argentina is an invaluable ally.
I don't even know what to say about Chávez. He's a clown. I tend toward being worried about him causing an interruption in our oil supply, but the truth is that in the end he's an elected official in a state that is well-educated and stable. They'll remove him if he threatens to cut off our oil money.
And Ortega basically kicked Obama in the teeth for an hour. But he's from Nicaragua, so I'm not sure Obama's strategy of pretending he didn't notice wasn't the right one. Nicaragua's GDP is less than a quarter the size of West Viriginia's. Let him kick.
I think we need to end the embargo on Cuba. I loved Peggy Noonan's idea from This Week, she said we should end the embargo now so Castro, on his death bed, can enjoy wathching American tourists trying to take his picture through the window. She said, "What a way to go!"
Latin and South America is a mess right now, but a mess that can be cleaned up, we have good, strong partners. I am very hopeful for a strong, peaceful hemisphere. I don't get optimistic very often, and it's strange that now, when Mexico is such a tragedy, that I feel the most hope. I think, in the end, that it's Calderón. He's got the hardest job in the world right now and he's rising to the challenge.
3 comments:
I completely agree about Latin America. Is there any truth in my notion that the best way to compete with the growing economies in China and India is to be a part of a growing economy in the Americas? In other words, for the United States to work closely with Mexico and other Latin American countries as they develop such that we benefit from their growing middle class.
To that end, btw, I think we should make it a national priority for every American to speak English and Spanish.
I don't understand you comments about Europe though. What problems is Europe having that it can't solve and that it is turning to Russia to help it solve.
Weird formatting problems. Trying again.
Is there any truth in my notion that the best way to compete with the growing economies in China and India is to be a part of a growing economy in the Americas?
I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes some sense. Mexico's prosperity should be very important to us.
To that end, btw, I think we should make it a national priority for every American to speak English and Spanish.
I don't know that I think this is terribly important.
What problems is Europe having that it can't solve and that it is turning to Russia to help it solve.
I meant that they'll get it from Russia if their not careful. And I don't think it's the kind of "help" they want.
Post a Comment