I hear that Serbia erected a statue to Bill Clinton a few years ago. I only just saw that this had happened, and it gives me the occasion to revisit something. BClinton richly deserves praise for having saved countless lives over the course of two decades. I was originally against this move on the grounds that it was unsustainable and only postponed the inevitable at the risk of US soldiers' lives. Turns out that US soldiers never died there in any numbers and it indeed quelled violence for so long that it has to be considered as having worked.

2 comments:
Let's say that Iraq remains as stable as it seems to be right now. Let's say it remains a democracy. What will it mean if we can say, the United States can create stable democracies at a price of 2-20 thousand U.S. soldiers, 1/100th to 1/10th the population of the democratized entity and $1-3 trillion?
I don't know. The idea is scary.
Post a Comment