Monday, April 13, 2009

Clarence Speaks

And says some pretty strange stuff:
“I have to admit,” he said, “that I’m one of those people that still thinks the dishwasher is a miracle. What a device! And I have to admit that because I think that way, I like to load it. I like to look in and see how the dishes were magically cleaned.” [...]

"Today there is much focus on our rights,” Justice Thomas said. “Indeed, I think there is a proliferation of rights.”

“I am often surprised by the virtual nobility that seems to be accorded those with grievances,” he said. “Shouldn’t there at least be equal time for our Bill of Obligations and our Bill of Responsibilities?”

Tapped responds snarkily:
Funny, I don't remember there being a "Bill of Obligations" or a "Bill of Responsibilities" in the Constitution of the United States of America. But since Thomas is an originalist who interprets the Constitution the way the founders intended, I suppose it must be in there somewhere.
I loathe Scalia -- but in the way I hate that dude at karate who always kicks my ass.  Which is to say that I have a grudging respect for him, as I do for Scalia.  I find his arguments compelling even when they're manifestly wrong.

But Thomas, I dunno.   The man came to the court with incredibly sketchy qualifications, is famous for never asking questions, and rarely authors opinions.  He seems to be a cipher, a knee-jerk right-wing shell of a jurist.   Which is frustrating, because he could well be on the Court for another 20 years.

No comments: