Friday, February 6, 2009

This is so trivial

But it also kinda verifies something I always suspected.  George Bush was a small-minded dick:
Under Mr. Bush, punctuality was a virtue. Meetings started early — the former president once locked Secretary of State Colin L. Powell
out of the Cabinet Room when Mr. Powell showed up a few minutes late
— and ended on time. In the Obama White House, meetings start on
time and often finish late.

[...] If Mr. Obama’s clock is looser than Mr. Bush’s, so too
are his sartorial standards. Over the weekend, Mr. Obama’s first
in office, his aides did not quite know how to dress. Some showed up in
the West Wing in jeans (another no-no under Mr. Bush), some in coats
and ties.

So the president issued an informal edict for
“business casual” on weekends — and set his own
example. He showed up Saturday for a briefing with his chief economic
adviser, Lawrence H. Summers, dressed in slacks and a gray sweater over a white buttoned-down shirt. Workers from the Bush White House are shocked.

“I’ll never forget going to work on a Saturday morning,
getting called down to the Oval Office because there was something he
was mad about,” said Dan Bartlett, who was counselor to Mr. Bush.
“I had on khakis and a buttoned-down shirt, and I had to stand by
the door and get chewed out for about 15 minutes. He wouldn’t
even let me cross the threshold.”

OMG.   What an asshole.   He locked his Secretary of State out of a Cabinet meeting, and wasted 15 minutes chewing out a grown-up, highly accomplished and powerful advisor over the wrong clothes.   And did so while humiliating him by making him stand outside the door while he got his dressing down.  No pun intended.   I always suspected his little hobby of giving eveybody a nickname was a manifestation of a nasty frat-boy desire to assert his status by demeaning those he could get away with it.   This fits right in.

God I'm glad we're rid of him.   Now if only Cheney would go away.

1 comment:

JimII said...

Small minded prick indeed. He is such a failure as president, that the fact that he was also a terrible person might be lost.

I really think there need to be people devoted to nothing other than keeping the memory of his horrible president and his horrible nature alive in the minds of the public.