Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Random thoughts

1.   Barney Frank is the chair of the House Finance Committee, and as such he is always popping up on the talking head teevee shows.   It's nice to finally see him being recognized for something other than being the Gay Congressman.

2.   As you know, I am an Obama fanboy.   Seriously, I am in deep.  And I am ecstatic about 99% of what he's already done since Jan 20.   But I am growing more and more concerned that this banking thing is the scariest and worst crisis of our lives and that Obama, via Summers and Geithner, are fucking it up by being too cautious and refusing to simply place the walking dead banks in receivership.  I really don't have the economic chops to know the "right" answers, but I read Atrios (PhD in econ) and Paul Krugman (Nobel in econ) and I respect their opinions, and as they get more depressed about the way Obama is "socializing the losses and privatizing the gains," I too grow despondent that the Obama administration may not be up to this particular challenge.  Prove me wrong, guys?

3.   John Yoo is freaking evil.   I mean, really truly evil.  Did you get a gander at the just-released Bush OLC memos from after 9/11?   OMG.  Glenzilla writes:
The essence of this document was to declare that George Bush had the authority (a) to deploy the U.S. military inside the U.S., (b) directed at foreign nationals and U.S. citizens alike; (c) unconstrained by any Constitutional limits, including those of the First, Fourth and Fifth Amendments.  It was nothing less than an explicit decree that, when it comes to Presidential power, the Bill of Rights was suspended, even on U.S. soil and as applied to U.S. citizens. [detailed explanation omitted]  And that's just one of the numerous documents that were released yesterday.  Others vested the President with the power to imprison American citizens on U.S. soil indefinitely without charges of any kind.   Let's underscore:  these weren't just abstract theories.  They served as the basis for many U.S. government actions.
It's worth a moment to read the whole piece (Greenwald, the author, is a constitutional law professor).  Truly, we were living in a dictatorship for seven years.



No comments: