I want to strike a deal with the whole world: I will whole-heartedly support comprehensive gun control, with waiting periods, background checks, bans on assault rifles, large clips, fast loaders and fully automatic weapons of all sorts. I only ask one thing in return: stop doing stupid, ineffective, autocratic, fascist, freedom-destroying dumb crap like banning large soda dispensaries.
These things are related. I have a knee-jerk reaction against gun control precisely because I know the results of people who want to "control" things. They will eventually ban the manner in which I want to buy food. I am the ally you need in banning weapons, but you don't get me because your desire to ban soft drinks makes me fear you more than I fear Adam Lanza.
Stop spending your time supporting stupid things, and let's be allies in doing something that matters and doesn't inhibit trivial joys.
1 comment:
I will preemptively point out that I have been on both these paths well before this recent horror. I don't believe in passing laws in response to statistically irrelevant crimes, no matter how horrific. But these are real issues in our society in general and deserve our attention always: Soft drinks are not dangerous and guns are. We find ourselves feeling the desperate need to pass laws against soft drinks and not guns.
So I become a radical.
Post a Comment