Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Puerto Rico

I am 100% pro Puerto Rico becoming a US State.  I think expanding our influence, economy and hence stability is all to the good.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/2012-election/puerto-rico-votes-us-statehood

msd

3 comments:

shadowfax said...

I am opposed, because 50 is a nice round number and I ama fan of round numbers. Also the stars on the flag would be asymmetrically laid out, which would be unacceptable. If PR became a state and we were to say, merge the Dakotas at the same time, I would support it.

Seriously, this is kinda cool. I am skeptical it will actually happen, but it's the sort of fundamental change in the nation that is very rare, and may never happen again until that giant meteor hits earth and puts us back in the stone age.

Sadly, I think that partisan politics may make this unlikely. The prospect of 2 more senators and 5 more reps, all of whom might be more likely to be democratic, might well induce the GOP in congress to prevent this from going forward. Hopefully that won't happen, but that was the main thing that derailed the DC-quasi-statehood thing last year. Or so I hear.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Since pot is now legal here, I'm going to go get stoned.

Matt Dick said...

I am opposed, because 50 is a nice round number and I ama fan of round numbers.

Yeah, you're right, fuck them.

Also the stars on the flag would be asymmetrically laid out...

I don't think so. I was thinking about this this morning. Today we have 6 rows of 5 interleaved with 5 rows of 4. With 51, couldn't we have 3 rows of 8 and 3 rows of 9? I'm not saying it would be aesthetically pleasing, but it would be symmetric.

Sadly, I think that partisan politics may make this unlikely.

I think this is definitely true. The Republicans would be morons to let it happen.

Pack a bowl for me.

shadowfax said...

Another problem:

"One nation, indivisible"

51 isn't a prime number. I think we need to go for 53 states.