Thursday, January 5, 2012

The mistake here is not that he misspoke, it's that Chicago will now redefine "the right of the people peaceably to assemble".

The Democratic White House carries on the previous administrations' policies suspending habeas corpus, cares not a whit for due process when killing Americans overseas, and its most recent Chief of Staff doesn't seem to see the need to respect the 1st Amendment.

Again, is this *so* different from the Republicans?

2 comments:

shadowfax said...

Huh. I didn't even know that the G-8 was coming to Chicago. Not quite as cool as the Olympics.

To the point, yes, this is horrible. There is a strain of modern democrat, sadly now I think the dominant strain, who are absolutely as authoritarian and statist as the ,,, no I won't say that. But they are certainly much more authoritarian than I would wish, and the difference between them and the R's is that they are against torture. That's about it.

They're *mostly* against torture, and they won't prosecute it if it did happen.

This is all Reagan's fault, by the way. When he successfully crushed liberalism in the '80s, the Dems largely turned into what used to be moderate conservatives, and the conservatives slowly evolved into batshit raving loons.

I miss Russ Feingold, and now Barney Frank is going, so the actual liberals still in national office are reduced to Bernie Sanders and Jim McDermott.

JimII said...

I concede that there are things that Democrats and Republicans both due wrong.

I reject the suggestion that the two parties are close in the way they govern.

I am not even going to start making the list.